Notifications
Clear all

Getting Keyless people in the community.  

Page 1 / 3

The_Seeker.Entity
(@the_seeker-entity)

So with the Beta coming out a lot of people are starting to see content for Talespire to come out and because the Beta is a closed one a lot of the people are going to come into the community and can't do much until Early Access is released so I think we need to think of ways to include those who don't have Talespire and to retain them in the community.

Topic Tags
31 Replies
Mad Wizard
Admin
(@mad-wizard)

I agree @the_seeker-entity .  Any ideas?   I'd say for them to ask for particular assets to be built (like we have the bounty section for) but they won't often know what's out there. I guess they could search and then ask.  Or maybe work with some that are building assets to build campaigns (built a section for that too).  At least with campaigns they could do something, but would they if they don't have a key?  It's tough.

1 Reply
MallowOni
(@mallowoni)

Eminent Member
Posted by: @mad-wizard

I agree @the_seeker-entity .  Any ideas?   I'd say for them to ask for particular assets to be built (like we have the bounty section for) but they won't often know what's out there. I guess they could search and then ask.  Or maybe work with some that are building assets to build campaigns (built a section for that too).  At least with campaigns they could do something, but would they if they don't have a key?  It's tough.

Promoting bounties is probably one of our best options. Just like Doctor Love sketched out a tavern without even knowing the assets available and I was able to make it work with what's available.

The_Seeker.Entity
(@the_seeker-entity)

Yeah its a difficult thing to do but an important one, a lot of the success of talespire depends on post Beta funds and the momentum isn't going to carry itself all the way to the end of 2020

xxwaszupgangxx
(@xxwaszupgangxx)

Imagine being keyless, smh

5 Replies
gamerpat766
(@gamerpat766)

@xxwaszupgangxx to be fair it's not their fault that they didnt know until it was too late to be in the beta but the main post idea is an important one a lot of momentum is going to be lost for those who don't have keys

Duggbog
(@duggbog)

@gamerpat766

it’s not the best feeling, I’ll admit.

It’s beyond frustrating, actually. I get that due to being on steam they had a fixed number of keys to hand out, but that doesn’t make it any less annoying - especially since other projects (like the VERY good foundryVTT) handled it by providing manual updates on his own. 

But patience is a virtue, and I doubt the software is going to go away any time soon, so what else can you do except soldier on and accept the timing was bad. 

MallowOni
(@mallowoni)

Eminent Member
Posted by: @duggbog

@gamerpat766

it’s not the best feeling, I’ll admit.

It’s beyond frustrating, actually. I get that due to being on steam they had a fixed number of keys to hand out, but that doesn’t make it any less annoying - especially since other projects (like the VERY good foundryVTT) handled it by providing manual updates on his own. 

But patience is a virtue, and I doubt the software is going to go away any time soon, so what else can you do except soldier on and accept the timing was bad. 

Even though I have a key I'm STILL extremely impatient for Early Access. I fully intend to buy half a dozen keys the second I know EA happens. I showed the TS Kickstarter & trailer to all my tabletop friends but only one of them backed it and even he only got one copy for himself meaning he & his wife have to share it. Now that it's out and I'm showing them all the stuff you can make they're stoked but they can't do anything about it, so I'm just stuck making slabs that are going unused.

Duggbog
(@duggbog)

@mallowoni

I’m sure the community appreciates them.

Plus you can always stream it for your players via discord 

chrisp519
(@chrisp519)

@duggbog

thanks for joggin my mind to answer this

@mallowoni

I am in a similar setup, I have an oculus quest and none of my friends do. My plan is to use combination of discord to stream what you see and roll20.net. Players then have controllable character sheets and .. one click.. roll 3d dice that can auto include advantage/disadvantage plus crits and buffs.

Basically your replacing roll20's top down pancake maps with your TaleSpire stream. You could run the whole show from TaleSpire but I think using roll20 helps players feel connected with their own char sheet and 3d dice. Having 2 monitors is essential for DM and very helpful for players. 

I have more but I am worried I am gamesplaining ... maybe?

chrisp519
(@chrisp519)

Speaking as a member of the keyless community, I'd like to see the range of assets currently available. Unsure just how many there are. Most the build videos focus on the end product and quickly gloss over what choices there are to build from. If it would be possible to make videos that showcase each set of assets with how they can snap together. If a room was built 30 by 30 then the floorplan copied to next set it would help directly compare whats available.

This maybe a pipedream as I am unsure exactly what beta players can show, but it would help drive creative juices.

I saw a comment about sketching a scene then asking key holders to try it. That would be the next step for me. Know whats available then sketch then challenge key holders to reproduce my vision.

Just to get you started, imagine the base of an ancient volcano, once home to the God Vulcan. Centuries have past and the hearth of fire and forging has been claimed by frost and ice from a wicked curse. It now serves as hub for extra dimensional slave auctions, powerful magic binds these creatures but at what cost? Who dares challenge Vulcan's Prison?

I recently bought an oculus quest and used a simple VR dungeon maker to express my vision, but as you can see NOTHING snaps as is a huge pain to my OCD design process. Check it out on youtube.

7 Replies
Mad Wizard
Admin
(@mad-wizard)

@chrisp519

I don’t do a lot of actual building in TaleSpire as most of my time that I have free spent on this site. But one thing I have tried doing is getting images and information about all of the assets available in the game. I didn’t do it because you can see it in the game but would it be helpful to you since you don’t have the game yet?  I’m not sure all I would have but let me know.  

chrisp519
(@chrisp519)

@mad-wizard

It would interest me to have a video series of a zoom in of the assets and show the snap points. To make it manageable break it down into how they class them in game. Just seeing what the lego blocks look like and how they snap together would help fill that void of being keyless.

MallowOni
(@mallowoni)

Eminent Member

@chrisp519

I don't have a tremendous amount of spare time but I'll see what I can put together for you.

MallowOni
(@mallowoni)

Eminent Member

@chrisp519

Here's the playlist I'm putting together. The videos are still uploading at the moment. Sorry for the performance hiccups but Talespire does NOT like my Ryzen CPU. It runs great on my laptop's Intel oddly enough.

chrisp519
(@chrisp519)

@mallowoni

Wow nice variance of details there. I'll be chomping at the bit for awhile 😉

MallowOni
(@mallowoni)

Eminent Member

@chrisp519

As I have time I'll tackle the other tile sets as well. If there's anything you want to know about tiles that I don't show just let me know.

chrisp519
(@chrisp519)

@mallowoni I should just join live let's build party easiest for everyone

Page 1 / 3